HyperX has constantly argued that the Umet manufactures first-class gaming headset. The Arsenal already has Cloud and Cloud Revolver with a lot of variations. And at Gamescom 2017, the company introduced the new HyperX Cloud Alpha, which has a number of interesting features and innovations compared to previous models. However, it has successful retained the previous proven solutions intact. According to HyperX, apart from engineers and acousticians of the company, professional cyber sportsmen as well as game-enthusiasts took part in the development.
First thing first. Let’s find out what it is.
HyperX Cloud Alpha is a gaming headset with closed acoustic design, 50 mm dynamic radiators accompanying neodymium magnets and removable microphone with noise reduction. It’s compatible with PC, Mac, up-to-date consoles like Sony PlayStation 4, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, VR. Traditionally, it does not require any additional software to use.
One of the main features is the use of two cameras in the speakers (one for bass and the other for mid and high frequencies) that don’t hinder the sound system. According to the manufacturer, this happened for the first time, and surprisingly, it comes with a price tag of just over $ 100. Certified by TeamSpeak and Discord, it’s well-suited with Skype, Ventrilo, Mumble, RaidCall and any other messenger. Plus, the main cable is removable and it’s equipped with a remote control.
What’s in the kit?
The packaging design is similar to the previous models- a large box of black and red colors with a picture of the headset. The box also contains information about compatibility, characteristics and advantages. Under the outer wrapper, you’ll find a stiff black box with a headset. A removable main cable, an extra extension cable for connecting to a PC in separate connectors and a removable microphone also reside inside that box. A bag for transportation is a bonus here.
How does HyperX Cloud Alpha look like?
The overall style of the HyperX Cloud Alpha resembles the Cloud design and appearance. The color scheme is also similar which is a practical black color with red accents. Built out of metal, some plastic and artificial leather along with foam filler, it looks awesome. Note that, only matte or textured surfaces are available. So, if you’re looking for a headset with glossy body or expecting any backlight, your hunt doesn’t end with it.
- Akin to the Cloud, its cups are large in size. The outer part is metallic, with a pleasant rough coat, on which there are no fingerprints. We appreciate the marvelous red HyperX logo on it. What’s more? On the perimeter of the cup, you’ll see black plastic with soft-touch coating. Not to mention, the plugs, that are used for fixing cups to the headband, look amazing in metallic red
- The headband is wide, with a metal frame. It’s also covered with artificial black leather. Red stitching along the edges and the embossed HyperX logo make its look more powerful.
- The ear pads are also furnished with synthetic leather. But looking inside, you’ll notice the same brand foam with a memory effect, a feature already included in most of the HyperX models. Cables used for connection are made of fabric braiding
- Easy connection of the main cable with the microphone are ensured by locating it on the bottom of the left earpiece
What is good about its design?
- It’s migrated from the Cloud line, hence, it’s removable. Using its flexible moderately thin stem, it adjusts itself to meet your need. This microphone’s convenience doesn’t end here. It plays the role of a condenser. The windproof foam is another plus
- And the main 1.3-meter, and additional 2-meter cables are in fabric braid form. They’re moderately thick, light and pliable enough to take the necessary shape without problems. The main one is connected to the extension cable with a standard 3.5 mm jack. A separate 3.5 mm headphone and microphone are already used for the PC
HyperX retained the successful design and design solutions that were used in past models, while adding new chips. The design remained familiar: the headset looks stylish, with no use of excessive illumination. Practical and reliable materials are used. Its solid construction reflects in its metal frame. Its weight is kept very standard and not extremely heavy. Besides, it seems that the company listened to the users and has added removable main cable.
How comfortable is the headset?
The cups of the headset are large enough to completely cover the ears. The previously introduced foam filler allows the ear cushions to repeat the shape of the head and fit cozily. Coupled with closed acoustic design, it provides excellent noise insulation. Despite the stuffing of leatherette, I did not experience any discomfort during long playing sessions, even in a hot summer. At first it seemed that the clamping force was somewhat suffocating, but after a couple of evenings, this feeling disappeared. Perhaps it’s addiction that leads me to the option of “carrying”. The weight of the headset is slightly less than the Cloud and is 336 g only, that makes it quite comfortable.
Let’s talk more about the main cable: this 1.3 m has a fabric braid. The included small remote control allows you to turn off the microphone and adjust the volume with the aid of a wheel. For connection, use a 3.5 mm connector with pinout CTIA. The headset works with PC, Mac, game consoles- Sony PlayStation 4, Wii U, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One (except the very first version, where you need an adapter) and VR. Conventionally, no extra software is needed, just plug and play.
How are things with sound quality and microphone?
All HyperX headsets were always blessed with balanced sound. They don’t suffer any sort of distortions, dips or wild busting that prevail in most gaming headsets. HyperX Cloud Alpha continues this decent practice. Dividing bass from medium and high frequencies in a two-chamber design looks like this:
The headset is well suited not only for games and movies, but also for listening to the music. There are no significant failures in the frequency response, the sound is balanced and pretty much sturdy on the entire frequency range. While watching the movies or playing games, the headset provides perfect sounds. You can easily hear every particle of their sound with the least touch of nuance. The loud explosions, shots, the rumble of technology, quiet whispers and rustles are perfectly audible and with precise positioning, which is extremely important in games. The headset perfectly proved itself in CS: GO, Star Wars: Battlefront, DOOM, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Division, GTAV, Watch Dogs, For Honor, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3 and so on. It was especially interesting to play Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, where you’ll fall in real love with the sound components. All game environment, voices in the head of the main character sound incredibly cool and atmospheric. The microphone is electret condenser and has a windproof foam that proved itself to be excellent during the field tests. The voice is transmitted clearly, without outer noise.
The new HyperX Cloud Alpha headset has earned the reputation of being a very successful expansion of the company’s line-up. Made of high-quality, durable materials, the design is practical and dependable. The new, important advantages are you can allocate a removable main cable. This trait has made replacing the broken ones rapid and easier. It’s portable and therefore, can be taken with you to any tournaments and LAN-party. The only nuance you may need to consider is its relatively high price tag. The headset will go on sale on September 27 .
5 Reasons to Buy HyperX Cloud Alpha:
- Brilliant sound quality;
- Featured microphone with noise reduction;
- Decent sound insulation;
- Detachable cable;
- Quality assembly, construction and components.
1 reason not to buy HyperX Cloud Alpha:
- Moderately high price tag.