Short Review UMIDIGI S2 Pro: Longest-running “frameless”
In autumn, UMIDIGI S2 Pro is going to enter the market. It is a very interesting and unique smartphone that offers a large 6-inch frameless screen and high autonomy. And the built-in 5100 mAh battery is like frosting on the cake.
Unlike most other Chinese manufacturers copying the design of last year’s “Mix” from Xiaomi, UMIDIGI decided to borrow from LG and Samsung. Judging by the available network and photos renderers, it turned out very well. The new S2 Pro outwardly slightly inferior to its prototypes.
To completely “win the heart” of the public, the company announced a special limited version of the UMIDIGI S2 Pro Mercury Silver Edition in an elegant silver case. Due to the use of anodic oxidation technology, it was possible to achieve a practically mirror surface.
Release date of UMIDIGI S2 Pro
The preliminary announcement of the gadget took place in the 10th of August. Theoretically, the manufacturer disclosed most of the technical characteristics of the novelty, but did not announce the exact price and the date of placing order. We only know that smartphone sales will begin in October, and you can buy it officially not only in China.
At the moment, a special promotion has been launched, during which several lucky winners will be able to win the novelty. Get details on the UMIDIGI company’s website.
• Large screenless screen with a diagonal of 5.99 inches and a resolution of FullHD + 1080 × 2160 pixels. The design as a whole resembles the LG G6, but the frames both on the sides, and on top and bottom are noticeably thinner.
• In general, a good design, successfully copied the work of large brands.
• An impressive battery with a capacity of 5100 mAh. The manufacturer promises up to 2 days without recharging with sufficiently intensive operation of the device.
• The metal case is thin enough for such a battery – only 8.8 mm. By the way, UMIDIGI S2 Pro doesn’t weighs much, it’s only 148.5 g, which is relatively rare among “long-playing” smartphones.
• 6 Gb of RAM and a built-in storage capacity of 64/128 Gb. While such characteristics are not very common in the middle price segment.
• Dual main camera, consisting of a pair of sensors with a resolution of 13 Mp and 5 Mp. Both are manufactured by Sony.
• Official support in Europe. However, it is not yet clear whether Russia will be among the lucky countries.
It’s easy to guess that the “brain” of UMIDIGI S2 Pro is the mobile processor Helio P25 from MediaTek. At the moment, thanks to a combination of fairly high performance, good communication capabilities and low cost, this is one of the most popular solutions among Chinese manufacturers.
Helio P25 successfully complement 6 Gb of fast RAM LPDDR4 with a clock speed of 1600 MHz. Also, a simpler version of S2 Pro will be released, with 4 Gb of RAM. The capacity of the built-in flash drive is 64/128 Gb, depending on the modification.
As already mentioned above, UMIDIGI S2 Pro has a large 5.99-inch display with a resolution of 1080×2160 pixel (FullHD +). It occupies almost 90% of the frontal surface, almost devoid of lateral frames. The screen is protected by a high-impact Corning Gorilla Glass 4 glass.
In terms of communication, the novelty is also very good. The built-in modem provides connection to base stations in 4G LTE Category 6 mode (download speed up to 300 Mbps, transmission – 50 Mbps). UMIDIGI S2 Pro allows you to install two nano-SIM cards. As for WiFi, the device supports both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz.
The main camera of the smartphone is dual. The resolution of the main sensor is 13 Mp, additional – 5 Mp. The main and most likely the only purpose of such a tandem is to measure the depth of space for simulating the “bokeh” effect (background blur on portrait shots).
For autonomy of UMIDIGI S2 Pro there is a non-removable battery with a capacity of 5100 mAh. As already noted above, once it’s 100% charged, it’ll go for a couple of days. Certainly, there is a quick charge option using MediaTek PumpExpress 3.0 technology.
In our opinion, among the many inexpensive “frameless” from the Middle Kingdom, the new UMIDIGI S2 Pro is the best choice. First, it does not copy the Xiaomi Mi Mix. Secondly, it has the largest battery capacity. Thirdly, it looks really stylish and not worse than smartphones from leading brands.